Fri, 05 Jul|
Horsemanship and Coaching Skills 4-day Intensive
Learn the skills to help people with a range of diverse needs and life experiences to benefit from interacting with horses on the ground.
Time & Location
05 Jul 2024, 10:00 – 08 Jul 2024, 16:00
Newcastleton, Whisgills House, Newcastleton TD9 0TQ, UK
About the event
Learn how to make horses accessible to individuals and groups with diverse needs, develop lesson plans that use ground-based activities (e.g., grooming, handling, leading, observing) and coach activities that may help participants attain horsemanship skills, and allow for the naturally healthful benefits horsemanship activities to occur. These include motivation and opportunities to excel, physical fitness, self-confidence, and social inclusion.
This LEVEL 3 course trains you to be able to lead sessions that use basic horsemanship skills and present moment exercises to help with sensory input, relaxation, enhanced cognitive skills or improved mobility. It includes a blend of self-paced distance learning as well as the opportunity for hands-on practice during a 4 day onsite workshop. Learning outcomes include:
- Understand the different models of equine assisted activities and therapies.
- Describe the theory of experiential learning.
- Demonstrate awareness of the ethical and safety considerations involved when working with equines and vulnerable people.
- Demonstrate safe equine handling.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate ground based therapeutic horsemanship sessions, showing how observations and evaluations inform future session plans.
- Analyse and evaluate a variety of learning and evaluation tools.
4 day Intensive (accommodation not included).