Mon, 16 Sept|
Therapeutic Riding 5 day intensive
Please note that this is the final stage of certification for Therapeutic Riding Instructors: to register, you must first have completed the Level 1, 2 and 3 Courses.
Time & Location
16 Sept 2024, 10:00 – 20 Sept 2024, 16:00
Newcastleton, Whisgills House, Newcastleton TD9 0TQ, UK
About the event
About this Course
This 5-day onsite workshop is delivered exclusively at our centre in the Scottish Borders and is available nowhere else in the UK. It will explore all aspects of the criteria to certify as a therapeutic riding instructor through classroom discussion, hands-on learning, and teaching opportunities.
Participants must first complete the With Horses online Introduction to Equine Assisted Services and Equine Advocacy courses as well as the Horsemanship and Coaching Skills 4 day intensive residential.
Participants must be secure riders at the walk, trot, and canter.
About the Coach
Lindsey Crosbie has 20 years' of experience as a riding instructor, working with both able-bodied and disabled clients of all ages and abilities in the UK and abroad. She is a Professional Association for Therapeutic Horsemanship International certified therapeutic riding instructor and the only instructor in Europe to hold Hooves for the Heart certification that enables her to use horse riding as a means of addressing trauma.
Through an intensive 5-day residential course and accompanying online course you can prepare for the learn to become a riding instructor and learn coaching, facilitation and behaviour modification techniques. You will get hands on practice in all areas of therapeutic riding including safe mounting and dismounting procedures, adaptive tack, task analysis, contraindications and safety precautions as well as a theoretical grounding in the science of why therapeutic riding is such a successful intervention for a range of client demographics. Learning outcomes:
- Understand the different models used to involve equines in learning and therapy.
- Describe the differences between adaptive riding, therapeutic riding and hippotherapy.
- Demonstrate awareness of the ethical and safety considerations involved when working with equines and vulnerable people.
- Detail how to select an appropriate horse for a range of different participants.
- Demonstrate a variety of emotional regulation techniques.
- Use and select tack and adaptive equipment appropriately.
- Critically evaluate teaching strategies and techniques.
- Know the various mounting and dismounting procedures.
- Know how to assess and screen participants.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate therapeutic riding lessons.
- Analyse and evaluate a variety of learning and evaluation tools.
- Demonstrate person centred practice and equine advocacy.
TR 5 day Intensive
+£17.48 service fee
+£17.48 service fee0